Sunday, October 27, 2013

Parent/Child Relationship

Me- Hey since you have been a parent for over 17 years can I ask you a few questions to help me understand the parent, child relationship?
Dad- Sure
Me- Why did you chose to raise me in Mansfield
Dad- It was a growing community, the houses were nice and very affordable, and there was a great school system. We wanted to make sure we sent you to a good school.
Me- What is the craziest thing you have ever done for me?
Dad- I went to ten toy stores in order to buy you a dump truck right after I got off the plane from a business trip from California. I also looked for the dump truck while I was on my business trip.
Me- Why did  you do that?
Dad- I didn't want to disappoint you. I told you that I was going to buy one, thinking it would be easy to find. Little did I know it would take hours to find it.
Me- Well thank you for doing that for me. How did you snap my neck when I jumped on your stomach that one day?
Dad- I knew that you didn't mean it. You were just being a kid so I couldn't do anything to you even though I was mad that you did it. 
Me- Did you enjoy helping me practice sports when I was younger or was I a pain?
Dad- No you were easy. You would always want to go out there and play. I enjoyed it so much. We would go out there for hours and just throw and hit a ball. It actually was very fun.
Me- Even though I have played sports all of my life, were you upset when I stopped playing hockey?
Dad- Absolutely, I went down once a week for months and months when you were learning to skate and once you got the hang of it you told me that you didn't want to play anymore. You told me right before signups while we were parked outside the rink. I was crushed.
Me- What would you have changed about the way you brought me up.
Dad- I wouldn't be such an enabler. I do everything for you and you don't do a single thing. Your wife is going to hate me when you get over.
Me- What were your goals for raising me?
Dad- That you would be very respectful to everyone especially adults, always try your best when it comes to school, and to be a good catholic.
Me- Do you feel like you have achieved these goals?
Dad- Yes I do.
Me- What are some things you worry about with raising kids?
Dad- Keeping them in control, having them deal with peer pressure, getting sick or injured, getting picked on or bullied.
Me- Have you ever been disappointed in me?
Dad- No for the most part you have been easy to raise because the rules were always laid out in front of you and you always followed  the rules.
Me- Thank you for your time dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment